Beach Crimes Lawyers in Dover, DE, Helping Clients Secure Fair Outcomes in Delaware Courts
Every summer and frequently on holidays, Americans converge on the pristine shores and beach towns of Delaware. These locales offer a unique and quaint atmosphere, and some of us are even lucky enough to call them home. Unfortunately, a fun time at the beach can easily turn into a criminal charge if something goes wrong. If you or a loved one are facing allegations of any kind, speaking with a beach crimes lawyer in Dover, DE may be in your best interest.
At Schwartz & Schwartz, Attorneys at Law, our experienced Delaware criminal defense lawyers know how exciting it is to spend time on or near the beach. From the quiet streets of Milton and Lewes to the party towns of Bethany and Dewey, every beach town or shoreline offers something special to those who visit. If the criminal justice system gets involved in your experience, though, contact us immediately for a free case review.
What Are the Most Common Beach Crimes in Delaware?
When people think of beach crimes in Delaware, they immediately envision intoxication. Of course, this isn’t a misplaced assumption. As you can see from the list below, many of the most common charges in our beach towns do relate to alcohol and drugs. In fact, inebriation can increase the risk of each of these crimes. Read on to get a better idea of what charges you may be facing after an arrest.
- Driving under the influence: Summer vacation and beach holidays lead to many DUI arrests. You can be detained even if intoxicated on a bike, scooter, or riding a lawnmower.
- Public intoxication: Typically involves obvious and disruptive intoxication in public. This is also referred to as “drunk and disorderly” in Delaware.
- Underage alcohol consumption: Consuming alcohol before the age of 21. There are some exceptions regarding private residences.
- Possession of illegal drugs and paraphernalia: Possessing one or more illegal drugs — or any material or device used to inject, ingest, or inhale drugs.
- Disorderly conduct: Acting in a disorderly manner and disturbing the peace.
- Solicitation and prostitution: Offering sexual acts for money, requesting sexual acts for money, or marketing sexual acts for money all fall into this category.
- Indecent exposure: Being naked or exposing oneself in public. Many people are charged with this after urinating in what they thought was a hidden spot.
- Sex in public: Performing a sexual act or having intercourse in a public place can lead to serious charges.
- Fighting/Assault: Physical attackers and even mutual combatants can face assault charges.
- Providing alcohol to minors: Providing an alcoholic beverage to an individual under the age of 21 is a crime in Delaware.
- Traffic violations: Beach crime lawyers in Dover, DE see traffic violations frequently. Criminal penalties are often minimal, but they can affect your ability to retain your license going forward.
- Loitering and criminal trespass: It’s easy to get caught up in the fun of the beach, but you can’t legally be on someone else’s property without permission.
- Shoplifting: While it may seem like a victimless crime, stealing from a store can still result in serious consequences.
If you’re charged with one of these crimes — or any other offense in Delaware — reaching out to a beach crimes lawyer in Dover, DE may benefit you. Even if some of these charges seem relatively minor — or if the prosecutor offers to reduce charges if you take a plea deal — the consequences of any conviction can be drastic. Understanding these consequences is vital if you want to protect your future.
What Are the Consequences of a Criminal Conviction?
When someone is charged with a crime, their biggest fear is often jail time. They could also face significant fines, but incarceration is typically the scariest possibility. That’s why many defendants immediately take a plea deal rather than contacting a beach crimes lawyer in Dover, DE. This is particularly the case with beachside crimes — many of which don’t carry stiff penalties in the first place.
Unfortunately, incarceration and fines aren’t the only potential issues you may encounter. If you’re convicted of any crime — even one you may view as minor — it could potentially result in the following:
- Expulsion from school
- College application denials
- Difficulty finding employment
- Inability to take out student, auto, and business loans — among others
- Difficulty finding housing (i.e., landlords often run background checks)
- Loss of the right to vote
- Placement on the sexual offender registry
- Inability to travel to certain countries
- Denial of immigration status
- Inability to achieve a security clearance
- Difficulty in child custody matters
- Loss of driver’s license
- Implications from professional organizations
If you’ve been charged with a serious crime, working with a beach crimes lawyer in Dover, DE is a no-brainer. Even if you don’t think a charge is serious, though, it could still potentially have serious consequences that last a lifetime. Don’t risk your future — or your present — by not seeking legal representation. A free case evaluation at Schwartz & Schwartz, Attorneys at Law, means you have nothing to lose by getting advice.
Do You Need a Dover, DE Beach Crimes Lawyer?
The consequences of a criminal conviction should make it clear how important a beach crimes lawyer in Dover, DE can be for your future. Unfortunately, many people think they can handle these issues themselves — or they settle for an overworked and often fatigued public defender. Unfortunately, either of these approaches can increase your risk of conviction. An experienced criminal defense attorney will work hard to try and prevent this from happening.
One thing that surprises many individuals accused of a crime is the allowable behaviors on the part of police and prosecutors. For instance, did you know that police can lie to you in order to elicit a confession? You’ll often hear this when they say, “Your friend already told us everything, so it’s time to fess up.” Additionally, prosecutors often overcharge defendants to scare them into accepting plea deals.
The fact is that the deck is stacked against you, and that’s exactly why you need a beach crimes lawyer in Dover, DE on your side. Don’t risk your freedom, your finances, or your future by trying to navigate the criminal justice system on your own or with an attorney the state provides you. Let the legal professionals at Schwartz & Schwartz, Attorneys at Law, review your case for free to help you better understand your situation.
Contact a Beach Crimes Lawyer in Dover, DE Today
Delaware offers some of the most amazing beaches you’ll ever come across. In fact, several of the sandy coastlines in our state and in the surrounding region have been ranked among the best beaches in America. Unfortunately, it’s easy to get caught up in all the excitement. Even worse, it’s possible to face false allegations just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you find yourself in either of these situations, a Delaware criminal defense lawyer may be able to help.
At Schwartz & Schwartz, our legal professionals have spent years defending the rights of those accused of crimes at Delaware beaches. Positive outcomes can vary significantly by case. While a plea bargain might be ideal for someone caught on video, asking for charges to be dropped entirely may lead to a better result for others. Contact us today by calling (302) 678-8700 to schedule a free case review and learn more. Our beach crimes lawyers in Delaware can’t guarantee an outcome, but we’ll fight restlessly to protect your rights.